Saturday 21 January 2012

Online personas: Who are you?

With the internet being ubiquitous and the advent of social media services like Facebook, Twitter and Blogger, I can't help but notice the clear divide between the virtual and physical worlds and with these worlds, people seem to adopt multiple personas.

Now I know that we all have multiple identities i.e student, daughter, sister, etc, but do online personas really fit into that? Whether we are online or not, are we not still the same people?

I'm not looking at this philosophically or what have you, it is an honest question.

I suppose we are all guilty of doing this sometimes, where we pick a nice picture for our Facebook profiles and untag ourselves when an unattractive picture surfaces on your wall. But if people already know who we are (or at least aware of who we may be), why do we still fiercely defend our online identities? If our Facebook friends already know who we are, exactly what image are we trying to protect?


OK, I admit that protecting my image is quite important. I want to present myself how I want to be perceived.

What I don't understand, however, are online personas. When people have online alter-egos that are completely different from who they seem to be in the physical world. Different names, different appearances even different personalities.

There seems to be a sense of security and safety in the virtual world. You can say what you really want to say. You can look how you really want to. You can act how you really want to.

I am amazed at how people feel safer sharing these things online. 

I'm even more amazed at how some crave for attention online.

Perhaps there really is a different world online?



2 comments:

  1. True, maybe we feel safe in the virtual world because we know someone will accept us.No one can judge us because we know there are others who we can connect to. Perhaps we are afraid being rejected in the physical(?) world, afraid of being judged. We can't ignore it when people around you judged you but in the virtual world, we can easily just ignore it and move to other site. We can't leave our physical(?) world.

    p/s: I am the same online and offline :) just to be clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think it's the opposite. More people can judge us online. More people than in the "physical" world...it seems scarier to me anyway what with trolls and such (HAHAHA)

      I try to be the same...but I find that I'm more serious online than in real life (except on twitter)

      Delete